Clothes Dryer Safety Tips
Taking out the garbage, sweeping the floor, and doing laundry are just a few daily chores that you may perform during a normal day. It is important to protect your home from a fire disaster by following a few simple tips from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to avoid a clothes dryer fire:
- Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional
- Do not use the dryer without a lint filter
- Make sure you clean the lint filter before or after each load of laundry
- Rigid or flexible metal venting material should be used to sustain proper air flow and drying time
- Make sure the air exhaust vent pipe is not restricted and the outdoor vent flap will open when the dryer is operating. Once a year, clean lint out of the vent pipe or have a dryer lint removal service do it for you.
- Keep dryers in good working order. Gas dryers should be inspected by a qualified professional to make sure that the gas line and connection are intact and free of leaks.
- Make sure the right plug and outlet are used and that the machine is connected properly
- Follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions and don’t overload your dryer
- Turn the dryer off if you leave home or when you go to bed
If you experience fire or smoke damage, SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook has a team of highly trained technicians available 24-hours a day to assist you. Please call us at 630-573-4290.