Tips to Stay Safe During a Power Outage
With spring weather heading to the Chicagoland area the weather can change quickly. Severe storms can bring strong winds which sometimes can cause a widespread power outage in your area.
Extended power outages may impact your daily routine. Here are a few tips from the Federal Emergency Management Agency to protect yourself during a power outage:
- Keep freezers and refrigerators closed.
- Only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
- Do not use a gas stove to heat your home.
- Disconnect appliances and electronics to avoid damage from electrical surges.
- Use alternate plans for refrigerating medicines or power-dependent medical devices.
- If safe, go to an alternate location for heat or cooling.
- Check on neighbors.
If you have a storm damage emergency, SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook is available 24 hours a day for assistance. Please don’t hesitate to call us at 630-573-4290.