Space Heater Safety Tips
How to Use a Space Heater Safely
Half of all home heating fires happen during the months of December, January, and February. Our experts, as well as the pros at the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers and the National Fire Protection Association, offer the following safety tips:
- Place the heater on a hard, level, and nonflammable surface. They are intended to sit on the floor and not a table.
- Establish a 3-foot kid- and pet-free zone around the heater, and never put a space heater in a child's room.
- Keep the space heater at least 3 feet away from such combustible materials as furniture, bedding, and curtains.
- Don't use a heater in a workshop or garage near paint, gas cans, or matches.
- Turn it off when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Unplug the heater when not in use by pulling the plug straight from the outlet. Check the cord for damage periodically, and don’t use it if it’s frayed or worn.
- Don’t plug another electrical device or an extension cord into the same outlet as a heater, which can cause overheating.
- Install working smoke alarms on every level of your home, and test them monthly.
It is important to remember these tips – and that you can count on SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook if you need us – Call us at 630-573-4290.