Keep Safe & Warm this Winter
Colder weather is arriving in the Chicagoland area and it brings chilly temperatures into our home. A great way to help fend off the cold is to use a portable space heater. If you are planning to use a space heater this winter season, it is important that you know how to properly operate it. Please follow these tips and recommendations from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA):
- Purchase a heater with the seal of a qualified testing laboratory.
- Keep the heater at least 3 feet away from children, pets and people, or anything that can burn.
- Choose a heater with a thermostat and overheat protection.
- Place the heater on a solid, flat surface.
- Plug the heater directly into the wall outlet. Never use an extension cord.
- Turn off the space heater when you leave the room or go to bed.
SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook responds to fire damage emergencies during the winter months and we know the damage even a small fire can cause to a home. Our fire restoration technicians have the advanced training, equipment, and experience to restore damage caused by a small or large fire. Call us at 630-573-4290.