Thanksgiving Cooking Safety Tips
Thanksgiving Day is coming up soon and it is so important to celebrate with safety in mind.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking is the main cause for home fires and injuries, with Thanksgiving being the peak day for cooking-related fires. Here are some safety tips to help ensure you can enjoy a safe holiday.
- Never leave cooking food unattended–stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling or broiling food.
- Check food regularly while cooking and remain in the home while cooking. Use a timer as a reminder that the stove or oven is on.
- Keep the kids away from the cooking area.
- Keep anything flammable–pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags away from the stove.
- Clean cooking surfaces on a regular basis to prevent grease buildup.
- Purchase a fire extinguisher to keep in the kitchen.
- Always check the kitchen before going to bed or leaving the home to make sure all stoves, ovens, and small appliances are turned off.
SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook wishes you a safe and happy holiday season. We are available 24/7 in the event of a fire emergency. Please call us at 630-573-4290.
Source: National Fire Protection Association