Be Prepared if Lightning Strikes!
Stay safe during a thunderstorm that brings lightning with it!
We say in Chicaoland wait a few minutes and the weather will change. These are words to prepare for in the event of a thunderstorm that brings lightning with it! If possible, postpone your trip or activity if the weather forecast calls for a thunderstorm. If you need to venture out in the storm here are a few tips from the CDC to keep you safe:
Safety tips for Outdoors:
- Remember: When thunder roars, go indoors. Find a safe, enclosed shelter.
- The main lightning safety guide is the 30-30 rule. After you see lightning, start counting to 30. If you hear thunder before you reach 30, go indoors. Suspend activities for at least 30 minutes after the last clap of thunder.
- If no shelter is available, crouch low, with as little of your body touching the ground as possible. Lightning causes electric currents along the top of the ground that can be deadly over 100 feet away.
- Stay away from concrete floors or walls. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
Safety Tips for Indoors:
- Avoid water during a thunderstorm. Lightning can travel through plumbing.
- Avoid electronic equipment of all types. Lightning can travel through electrical systems and radio and television reception systems.
- Avoid corded phones. However, cordless or cellular phones are safe to use during a storm.
- Avoid concrete floors and walls.
Lightning strikes may be rare, but they still happen and the risk of serious injury or death is severe. So take thunderstorms seriously.
SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook is here in your community, if you experience any Flood Damage due to Thunderstorms, give us a call at 630-573-4290.
Home Fire Safety Tips
Fire Safety Tips.
Did you know that if a fire starts in your home you may have as little as two minutes to escape? During a fire, early warning from a working smoke alarm plus a fire escape plan that has been practiced regularly can save lives.
Here are a few tips from the American Red Cross:
Tips for Fire Safety
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
- Test smoke alarms every month. If they’re not working, change the batteries.
- Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.
- If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL FOR HELP. Never go back inside for anything or anyone.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook - (630) 573-4290
Destroy Odors with DEODORIZATION
Call SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook at 630-573-4290 to remove unwanted odors caused by smoke damage.
Even a small fire can cause odors for years to come if the affected areas are not properly cleaned and deodorized. Fire, smoke and soot damage in your home or business can create unpleasant and potentially permanent problems.
As various materials burn, the smoke produced travels throughout the structure, leaving odorous residues and deposits on surfaces and in hard-to-reach places. Unless fast, professional action is taken, these residues and deposits can cause permanent damage to contents and may result in resurfacing odors.
With technicians certified by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration (IICRC), SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook provides specialized services that can rid your home or business of offensive odors left by fire or smoke damage. SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook does not cover up lingering odors with a fragrance; we seek out and remove the sources of the odor.
If you or a customer suffer a fire damage or some other accident and require deodorization services, contact SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook at 630-573-4290.
Whether it’s fire, water, or mold damage, or just a stubborn odor that refuses to go away, we’ll help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Beware! - It's the Water you don't see that can cause Damage.
This is a Moisture Meter - just one of many tools used by SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook to detect unseen water.
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and indoor air quality issues over time. The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook Professionals have the equipment, training and experience to find and dry unseen water before secondary damages occur. The proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing the damage expense during a fire or water loss. When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform. SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook will answer your call with fast action and a full arsenal of drying equipment. Here are a few of the tools that we use:
Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
Moisture Meters are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate readings, allowing SERVPRO to monitor the drying process.
Thermohygrometers measure temperature and relative humidity. SERVPRO can calculate and create an environment most conducive to drying. When facing a contaminated water loss, it is not only important to dry the structure, but the structure must also be disinfected and deodorized.
Ultra Low-Volume (ULV) Foggers will atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that can easily penetrate the site where odor-causing residues may accumulate.
Thermal Foggers dispense solvent-based products by creating a dense fog. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that attach to and neutralize odor-causing particles to deodorize structures, garments, automobiles and other places where cleaning cannot reach.
Contact SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook at 630-573-4290 if you experience water damage, we are always here to help!
Take Action against Mold Growth!
Contact SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook at 630-573-4290 for any Mold Damage.
Prompt mitigation is vital to avoid mold growth, which can be visible in as little as 24 to 48 hours under certain conditions.
- Keep the humidity between 30 to 60 percent.
- Provide for proper drainage away from building foundations.
- Regularly inspect plumbing and appliances for leaks.
- Keep gutters and drains clear of debris.
- Respond to all water intrusions immediately.
- Inspect the roof, windows and other areas where water might enter the building and perform necessary maintenance.
SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 630-573-4290
Fire Extinguisher Safety tips for the workplace.
If you experience Fire Damage in your workplace SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook can help!
According to OSHA, the most common emergency small businesses must plan for is a fire. Fire extinguishers can be invaluable tools to help fight smaller fires in the workplace.
It is important for employees to know how to use an extinguisher properly and also know how to accurately assess a fire situation.
The PASS method is a simple training technique for fire extinguishers:
· P - Pull the pin on the extinguisher.
· A - Aim the hose nozzle low toward the base of the fire.
· S - Squeeze the handle to release the extinguishing agent.
· S - Sweep the nozzle from side to side at the base of the flames until extinguished.
Fire extinguishers are meant to handle only small fires. If a fire becomes too large or the environment becomes too dangerous, employees should know when and how to evacuate the area. If appropriate, sound the fire alarm or call the fire department immediately.
SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook is always available to help if your business has incurred damage from a fire. Please call us at 630-573-4290.
Commercial Carpet Cleaning.
SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook will help keep your carpets clean.
Even the highest-quality items can show soiling over time. Protect your investment by calling SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook to clean and maintain your commercial carpets.
Carpets act as a filter, trapping dust, dirt, gases, animal hair, and other soils. All carpet manufacturers agree on actions you can take between carpet cleanings to increase the life span of your carpet.
IICRC states that 79% of soil in carpet is dry soil. Vacuuming is a key component to proper care and maintenance of carpet.
Preventative maintenance actions include:
- Regular vacuuming
- Spot removal
- Pilating the carpet to prevent matting
- Moving furniture to change traffic patterns
- Using walk-off mats to limit the amount of soil tracked onto the carpet
Professional cleaning can address moderate and heavy soil conditions in your commercial carpets. How often you’ll need professional cleaning depends on soil build-up, traffic, type and color of carpeting. A good rule of thumb would be to professionally clean your carpet every 12 months.
The best advice is to clean carpets before they become totally saturated with soil. Dirt builds up in layers, and when a carpet looks dirty you are only seeing the dirt at the tips of the fibers. More dirt is hiding below the surface down near the base of the pile, causing damage to the carpet. When a carpet is saturated with dirt, the soil has penetrated crevices and has become firmly lodged.
SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook Professionals will get the job done right. For a cleaning backed by state-of-the-art equipment and Professionals trained to the highest standards, call us today.
Need Commercial Carpet Cleaning?
Call SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook at 630-573-4290
Summer is Here - Watch out for Extreme Heat!
Use these helpful tips to stay safe during a heat wave.
Summer has arrived in Chicagoland and so has the extreme heat. Please stay safe with the help of these tips from the American Red Cross:
- Never leave children or pets alone in enclosed vehicles.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids even if you do not feel thirsty. Avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol.
- Avoid extreme temperature changes.
- Wear loose-fitting, lightweight, light-colored clothing. Avoid dark colors because they absorb the sun’s rays.
- Slow down, stay indoors and avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest part of the day.
- Postpone outdoor games and activities.
- Check on family, friends and neighbors who do not have air conditioning, who spend much of their time alone or who are more likely to be affected by the heat.
- If you do not have air conditioning, choose places you could go to for relief from the heat during the warmest part of the day (schools, libraries, theaters, malls).
- Check on your animals frequently to ensure that they are not suffering from the heat.
Recognize and care for heat related emergencies:
Heat exhaustion typically involves the loss of body fluids through heavy sweating during strenuous exercise or physical labor in high heat and humidity.
Heat stroke is a life-threatening condition in which a person’s temperature control system stops working and the body is unable to cool itself.
SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook is available to help – Call us at (630) 573-4290
IICRC Certified Firm can help with your Storm Damage
SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook is a IICRC Firm
SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
- Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
- Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
- Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
- Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
- Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Have Storm Damage? Call Us Today at (630) 573-
Fireworks Safety Tips
Stay Safe! Follow these Fireworks safety tips.
The number of Americans planning to use backyard fireworks this Fourth of July is expected to hit an all-time high. In preparation for holiday celebrations, The Consumer Products Safety Commission encourages consumers to review all safety tips before purchasing and using fireworks.
Fireworks are dangerous!
Follow these safety tips when using fireworks:
- Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper because this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and that they could pose a danger to consumers.
- Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don't realize that young children suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees - hot enough to melt some metals.
- Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
- Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
- Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
- After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
- Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.
The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to go see a display put on by the professionals. This allows you to enjoy the show with little worry of bodily harm or property damage. SERVPRO of Downers Grove / Oak Brook wants you to enjoy the festivities safely with family and friends.
If you are in need of our services please give us a call at 630-573-4290.